by Demetra Brodsky
Release Date: June 19, 2018
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, mystery
Theo Mackey only remembers one thing for certain about the fire that destroyed his home: he lit the match.
Sure, it was an accident. But the blaze killed his mom and set his dad on a path to self-destruction. Everything else about that fateful night is full of gaping holes in Theo’s mind, for good reason. Maybe it’s better that way. As captain of the Ellis Hollow Diving Team, with straight A’s and solid friends, he’s only one semester away from securing a scholarship, and leaving his past behind.
But when a family history project gets assigned at school, new memories come rushing to the surface, memories that make him question what he really knows about his family, the night of the fire, and if he can trust anyone—including himself.
• Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/32173182-dive-smack
• Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Dive-Smack-Demetra-Brodsky/dp/0765396955/ref=tmm_hrd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
• Barnes & Noble: https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dive-smack-demetra-brodsky/1127026415?ean=9780765396952#/
• Book Depository: https://www.bookdepository.com/Dive-Smack-Demetra-Brodsky/9780765396952?ref=grid-view&qid=1528694370407&sr=1-1
• Kobo: https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/dive-smack
• IndieBound: https://www.indiebound.org/book/9780765396952
• iBooks: https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dive-smack/id1276186741?mt=11
Blog tour schedule link: http://fantasticflyingbookclub.blogspot.com/2018/05/tour-schedule-dive-smack-by-demetra.html
The story of Dive Smack starts out like the life of any other young adult (who is an awesome diver) who is in school and dreams about getting into a good college with good scholarship. It wents on like that for a while, and then the twists and turns start coming, O God! Right from that moment to the end, I wasn’t able to leave this book even for once. It was just so thrilling.
Not even once did I expect the story to turn out the way it did. Most of the twists and turns were completely totally unpredictable. I never saw any of them coming. As I kept on reading this book, the author went on throwing all my theories out of the window and left me utterly shocked with each new revelations.
The only problem I had with this book is that the book took quite some time
to reach that gripping stage. I won’t say the part before that is boring or anything, it actually sets the story for the thrilling experience in the next stage, but still I felt the onset of the gripping stage could have been a bit quicker.
I enjoyed reading this book a lot and I believe that if you are someone who likes reading YA mystery then you would definitely love reading Dive Smack.
LIFE AT 17 RATING
(4.5 stars out of 5)
“The mind has a way of protecting us from certain truths.”
“But most people aren’t who they appear to be on the surface. Everybody has something they’re dealing with or feel they need to hide from people.”
“We all live and learn.”
“Her warmth seeps through my skin into my bones so deep I shiver.”
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Demetra Brodsky is an award-winning graphic designer & art director turned writer. She has a B.F.A from the Massachusetts College of Art and Design and lives in Southern California with her family of four and two lovable rescue dogs. Dive Smack, her debut novel, is dedicated to Pumpkin, the monarch butterfly she once saved from the brink of death. Once you read the book, you’ll understand why. She is a first generation Greek-American and a member of International Thriller Writers. Dive Smack is a 2018 Junior Library Guild Selection.
• Prize: Hardcover copy of DIVE SMACK by Demetra Brodsky & Prize pack of necklace, bracelet, signed bookmark, & signed book plate
• picture of this in dropbox
• US Only <—please be sure to specify this
• Starts: 6/13
• Ends: 6/26